Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Assignment Five




These photos are meant to be seen as a set. I first photographed my boyfriend, Dan, attempting to climb trees around campus. I then played around with photoshopping him in different environments, which you can see in earlier posts. I am not very comfortable with Photoshop, so I shied away from using those images. Hopefully over the summer I will be able to cultivate my skills using the program so when I take more photo courses I will be able to take advantage of all of the possibilities that would open up. ANYWAYS, I decided to try printing out some of the better shots from the shoot. I started playing around with ideas, and then came up with this concept. I like that it plays not only with scale but also opens up ideas with the context. It can be used humorously or can implicate the struggles with modern living, i.e. consumption/consumerism. That all depends on the surrounding background, so it takes more thought to figure out how it should (hopefully) be perceived. Overall, I am happy with this series and I would like to push it further in the future. 

After the class critique, I got some helpful tips. They liked my series and saw it more humorously. They suggested adding in different poses and even work more with the shadows so that it gives more of the illusion of dimension. There are lots of different ways I can go further with this set.

These photos came from the scanner. I was experimenting with it, and these were the results. I got the first by dragging the watch over the light, and it made this really nice distorted effect. It became surprising colorful and an interesting look about it. The second came about by accident. I was uploading one of my experiments into Photoshop, and the canvas was way too small for it. The result was a close up crop of one of the watch faces and I really liked how it turned out. I tried to rescan it at a higher resolution but I could not get it to work. To combat this, I just stacked multiples of the same image and presented it that way. I think that these are interesting since there are so many connotations with watches, especially time. With the altered states, it kind of distorts time and can say about how it is fleeting, or how it can be repetitive (as my professor pointed out). The class also pointed out in the critique that I could have upped the contrast, which looking back probably would have been a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment